Cleaning out my purse
After weeks of just shoving stuff in my purse (Weeks is generous. I don't know when I cleaned this purse out last.) I decided to clean out my purse. The build up of reasons to clean it out were mounting. First was the trip to the library.
At the library, I was asked to provide my ID to renew our library cards. I had already done it the week before, but I guess it wasn't entered in properly. Sigh. So, I got out my driver's license. Then I started looking for the piece of paper that the DMV mailed to me stating that my actual address is different from what is on my license. It may have not taken me very long, but I felt my face redden the longer it took. The kids were getting squirrelly too. “I need to clean out my purse,” I apologize–not that the librarian cared. I did find it. The victory paled in comparison with the struggle to find that single paper amidst all the stuff in my purse.
Secondly, Friday came. I knew I needed to finalize the finances from Febrary. Yes, I am behind. If I were to do it well, I needed to find all the receipts from my purse. So, as a prerequisite before diving into the finances, I dumped out the contents of my purse.
I was amazed with how much garbage was in my purse. Apparently, I had no bins around for a long time and just stuffed in every scrap of paper, napkin, whatever, even if I didn't need it anymore. (Picture on left.)
Here is what I discovered by cleaning out my purse
- I collect the girls' hair bows, clips, and ponies. (Funnily, my older daughter asked me if I had a hair pony with me today. Had she asked me a week ago, I would have had it along with an assortment of other hair options. They were all put away at home.)
- Even though I don't often eat out, I have a stack of napkins. (I now have one in my purse. The rest are in the car–ready if needed.)
- I keep things for reasons I don't remember why I decided to keep them. I found an old Starbucks card (empty) along with the card they were mailed in. Why did I still have them? And why in my purse?
- If I don't take the make up out of my purse, they will go bad because I rarely reapply make up. (I don't often wear a lot of make up.)
- My purse looks naked without all the extra unnecessaries. Since I cleaned it, I have been looking at it thinking I must have lost or left something. The thinner iPad does make a huge difference too.
What would you discover about yourself if you cleaned out your purse?
Anyone brave enough to take a picture and post it?